Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Superstition.




I can have some superstitious tendencies. 


I say tendencies because I don't suppose I am that bad. 

I salute every magpie I see but I wouldn't be too paranoid about opening up an umbrella indoors, and despite my initial shock of breaking a mirror, I admit I wouldn't remember for seven years that I am prone to bad luck...


I know there is no logic behind superstition, I know it isn't based on reason or knowledge. I just really must salute that lonesome magpie to ward off any bad luck it will bring.

I have actually become quite good at it; I like to think that I don't look too insane in public and have got a little 'salute/ ruffle my hair' movement thing going on.



This 'insanity' definitely derives from my father. He comes up with all sort of rubbish my family are forbidden to do in fear of bad luck, like putting new shoes on a table.

Or, and even I think this one is ridiculous, wash our clothes on New Year's Day!

Apparently, should you do something so ridiculous you will wash one of your children away (this was extended to family members when I pointed out to my father that, in fact, I had no children)!


Saying that, I have been wanting to visit a fortune teller for quite a while...

BUT then I saw this... 





Britney refuses the fortune teller because she wants to choose her own destiny

I suppose it would be like a self-fulfilling prophecy; with a subconscious awareness of what your future will allegedly behold, you might make decisions in life which conforms to the life told by the fortune teller.

What if she tells me something really terrible?!
I'm not sure I can take the risk...




And besides, Stevie Wonder did warn the world:


When you believe in things that you don't understand, 
Then you suffer;
Superstition ain't the way...








Despite this, I will continue to salute magpies... just incase.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha Becca I love you. I think I would ignore a fortune teller too, but more because they would freak me out. I walk under ladders but Dave makes me touch wood all the time for things I say (no pun intended). I wonder if James will write a blog about superstitious people ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete